The Shippensburg University Foundation seeks enthusiastic, caring and responsible individuals to provide care for the young children at the Bartos Child and Family Center located on the Shippensburg University campus. Responsibilities include supervision and assessment of children ages 12 months to six years along with parent communication Applicant should be able to manage a classroom of children both independently and as part of a teaching team.
About the Center
The Bartos Child and Family Center at Shippensburg University, a project of the Shippensburg University Foundation, is a safe, enriching, and supportive educational program for young children and their families.
A Philosophy of Learning and Caring
We believe that children learn about their world through active involvement, playing, exploring, and interacting with others. We plan activities for and with children based on their developmental ages and individual needs. We embrace and welcome families into our program, knowing that the connection between school and home is critical to children’s growth and love of learning. We believe that the goal of discipline is teaching inner control. We guide children to become self-controlled by modeling caring behaviors, consistently enforcing logical rules, and emphasizing peace and tolerance. We are part of a campus community that values research, teaching, and service. We welcome students into our program, guiding them as they work to learn about children and families. We participate in research projects that advance our knowledge about children and families. We work with others in our community and region to support children and families. Children are able to grow and develop when they can make their own decisions about learning. Opportunities provided for children in a play oriented environment foster freedom of expression, promote uniqueness, build well-being, and build a healthy self-concept. The value of play encourages creativity, language development, and social interaction.
Ours Assistant Teachers:
- Are caring, compassionate and love what they do!
- Ensure the daily care of every child by following all licensing guidelines and implementing all company standards.
- Help to maintain a fun and interactive classroom that is clean and organized.
- Are rewarded with hugs from children and praise from parents every day!
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education or the human services field and two years experience working with children in a child care setting.
- Applicants with a combination of formal training and experience working with children in a child care setting will be considered. Experience working in a licensed childcare facility a plus.
- Impeccable references and a proven track record of caring and nurturing children to provide them with a great start to their educational careers
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds and assume postures in low level positions that best allow physical and visual contact with children
- Must be able to sustain a high level of energy
- Perform all activities with children, i.e. jump, dance, walk, run, etc. for extended periods of time
- Both indoor and outdoor environment are typically found in a childcare facility. Depending upon activities and season, may be required to be outdoors for regular, prolonged activities.
- Must be flexible and be able to respond quickly and appropriately to changing situations
- Work hours may vary to meet the needs of the children
- Mandated clearances and health assessment required.
Join our talented team, where we inspire children to be lifelong learners! Through our excellent educational curriculum, our affectionate and loving staff ensures that our children are imparted with the knowledge to succeed.
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to the Shippensburg University Foundation, Attention: Stephanie McCullough, Program Director, 1871 Old Main Drive, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania 17257, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been selected. Equal Opportunity Employer.